NATIONAL AMERICAN ARAB NURSES ASSOCIATION SCHOLARSHIPS FOR NURSING STUDY
NAANA is now accepting applications for 2016 Scholarships. Deadline to submit a complete application is September 30th, 2016.
The National American Arab Nurses Association (NAANA) is pleased to announce its annual scholarships, awarded to the most meritorious applicants who are engaged in studying nursing at the Associate Degree, Bachelor degree, RN-BSN, or BSN-MSN (Master of Science in Nursing) levels. Annually $500 to $1000 scholarships are awarded, depending on the funds available in a given year. The scholarships should be applied toward tuition and/or books in the academic year they are awarded. Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited nursing program at the time of application, and should be pursuing a nursing program during the year for which the award is made. In order to be eligible, applicants must be of Arab heritage, citizens or permanent residents of the United States, and must reside within the US or its territories; further, applicants must be members of NAANA.
Major criteria to be used by the selection committee are:
- Academic excellence, exemplified by achievement of a grade point average [GPA] of 3.0 [on a 4-point scale] or its equivalent.
- Demonstrated leadership, academic, professional, and/or through student organizations.
- Evidence of engagement in and contribution to the health care of the Arab American community.
- Prior recipients of this scholarship are not eligible to apply during the same degree as the first award.
Material required for evaluation:
- Transcripts of all college/university attended. The transcripts may be unofficial or student copies.
- Two letters of recommendation. One must be from a nursing faculty member from the institution in which the student is currently enrolled, the second may be from an individual who has taught or worked with the applicant in a different context who might provide a unique perspective on the applicant. The letters should be prepared on institutional stationery, and should address the academic performance of the student, her/his actual or potential leadership activities and the overall criteria. Letters should be sent electronically to NAANA by deadline.
- A current Curriculum Vita or Resume.
- A one page essay by the applicant highlighting her/his personal background, career goals, leadership activities, contributions to the health of the Arab American community or plans for doing so upon graduation, and other criteria of the scholarship, and making a case as to why s/he deserves the award. The letter should be prepared in 12-font, single spaced.
Applications are reviewed by a selection committee comprised of members of the Board of Directors.
All application materials need to reach NAANA by September 30th, 2016; it is expected that the reviews would be completed by mid-May. If selected, the funds will be made available for the academic year that follows, or starting September 1. Scholarship awards are sent directly to the institution where applicant is enrolled.
Materials must be submitted electronically as email attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org Reference letters are to be sent separately, by deadline, to the same email address. Incomplete submission will not be considered.
School Counselor or Financial Aid Office:
Download our flyer to hang in your office for students: 2017 NAANA Scholarship Flyer